If you are having a sleeping problem, then it might be one of the annoying sleeping disorders. A serious sleep disorder, sleep apnea, occurs when breathing is interrupted during sleeping. It doesn’t only occur 2 – 5 times, but a hundred times. Meaning, brain and the rest of the body may not get enough oxygen. To understand better about it, read more at https://sleep.entific.com.hk/en/home-en/.
2 types of sleep apnea
Sleep apnea has 2 different types that are essential to be aware of. of. These 2 types of sleeping disorders called:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It is commonly known as its abbreviation OSA. This is the most common form than the other type of apnea. It is caused by airway blockage when the soft tissue at the back of the throat collapses. It happened during sleeping.
- Central Sleep Apnea. In comparison to OSA, the respiratory control center becomes unstable. The brains fail on giving a go signal on the muscles to breathe. The airways are not blocked.
Who is at risk of apnea?
People must be aware that anyone can be at risk of sleep apnea. It can affect any age even the kids. Sleep apnea has risk factors, it includes the following:
- family history of apnea
- overage (40 years old)
- large neck size
- large tongue, large tonsils, or small jawbone
- Nasal obstruction (allergies, deviated septum, or sinus)
Anyone can take a test to know is you have a sleeping disorder. Try to visit the website at https://sleep.entific.com.hk/en/sleep-test/ for the testing. Symptoms of sleep apnea are very common, one of them is snoring. But, it doesn’t mean that the one who snores is diagnosed to have apnea. Snoring can be a sign of having sleep apnea when accompanied by silent breathing pauses, choking, or making gasping sounds. People who have sleep apnea often experience fatigue or daytime sleepiness. There are common symptoms of apnea, such as:
- frequent or loud snoring
- unrefreshing sleep
- breathing pauses
- gasping or choking sounds
- morning headaches
- memory loss
- decreased sexual desire
Is sleep apnea a killer?
Being a firsthand witness of someone stop breathing during sleeping is very scary. If you stop breathing while you are sleeping, it can be risky. So, why does it happen? Sleep apnea might be a cause to the problem, it might be a killer if it occurs a long period of time. Of course, you are no longer breathing for hours, and it is not normal. Sleep apnea can become serious. So, better to look for treatment before it gets severe. The severity of this kind of sleep disorder varies. So, people who have a nose allergy must not ignore the said problem. It is advised to consult a doctor to treat the problem earlier to prevent sleep apnea.